Why Chicago’s Air Ducts Accumulate Dust and Contaminants
Furnace and air conditioning ducts in every community are prone to the accumulation of dust, pollen, debris, mold, fungi, bacteria, and other contaminants. Some areas, though, have factors that make such accumulation even more common. Chicago, like many midwestern cities, has several such factors. That’s why your Chicago air ducts need cleaning on a regular basis. Here are some of the things that may make Chicago’s air ducts dirtier than in other places:
- Weather is a Big Factor – Chicago is home to weather extremes. Cold winters and hot summers lead Chicagoans to close up their homes tightly and stay indoors more during these extreme weather situations. Furnaces and air conditioners are on and circulating the air in your home for much longer periods than in cites with more moderate weather. That means that the dust in your home is constantly being re-circulated. Dust constantly passes through your air ducts, settling on the interior of the ducts, then is picked up and sent into your living areas again and again.
- Humidity Increases Mold Growth – Humidity, too, is a factor. The sweltering sticky days of Chicago summertime adds moisture to the dust and other debris in your air ducts. This promotes the growth of molds and fungi in those ducts. The spores they generate circulate into your home, posing a risk of allergies and asthma attacks.
- Indoor Pets Create Indoor Problems – The weather keeps pets indoors, too. That leads to more pet hair and pet dander in the air, and in your ductwork. Pet dander is a frequent cause of allergy symptoms, and provides food for the dust mites in every home. Dust mite excrement also contributes to allergy problems.
- A Windy City Means More Dust – Even during good weather, when windows and doors are thrown open to air out musty indoor spaces, the weather plays a role in adding to the dust and debris load in your home. Chicago isn’t called the Windy City for nothing. And that wind carries all sorts of dust right into your home, where it can accumulate in your ductwork. Pollen, especially, is a major contaminant carried by the winds. During the spring and fall, pollen is everywhere, causing sneezing, sniffling, and other allergy symptoms. It comes into your home on the breeze, then settles in your air ducts, only to reappear whenever you run your furnace or air conditioner.
- Traffic Creates Pollution – Like all major cities, Chicago can have polluted air at times. Traffic is a big factor. Trucks, buses, and cars all create dust, soot, exhaust and other contaminants. When these come into your home, they all become part of the contamination that builds up in your air ducts. Nearby factories and other industrial sites also add pollution to the air you breath.
- Older Homes Accumulate More Debris – Chicago is a city of wonderful vintage homes. Those classic homes, though, often have heating and air conditioning air ducts that have not been cleaned in years. Older homes also tend to create more dust than newer ones. Clogged up, neglected air ducts can dramatically reduce heating and cooling efficiency, and that raises energy bills for homeowners. Cleaning out clogged ductwork has many economic and health benefits.
Regular Duct Cleaning Is A Must in Chicago!
The only way to fight this indoor pollution is to have your air ducts cleaned regularly. An annual cleaning is ideal for most homes, but where other factors, like smoking, multiple pets in the home, and damp basements exist, more frequent cleaning may be needed.
Proper duct cleaning removes the accumulation of debris in your air ducts, leaving them clean and smooth to cut down turbulence and improve efficiency. It also reduces the amount of dust in your home, keeping it cleaner. Finally, by removing all the allergy-causing dust, mold, fungi, dust mite droppings, and other pollutants, it makes your home’s air more healthful.
Chicago Duct Cleaners Is Chicago’s Premier Duct Cleaning Company
When you need air duct cleaning, don’t settle for less than the best. At Chicago Duct Cleaners, we have the state-of-the-art equipment and expert, experienced technicians you need to get the job done right the first time. Unlike some other duct cleaners, our prices are out in the open, with no hidden charges. Duct cleaning and associated services are our only business, and we guarantee your satisfaction 100%. Contact Chicago Duct Cleaners today to schedule a cleaning for your Chicago home!